Add Your Heading Text Here
Replacing your windows
can be a real headache, especially when you aren't sure where to start.
What does a window replacement involve, and how often should you replace your windows? More importantly, how much time and money will it cost you?
We are Nu-Eco, your local window replacement experts in Melbourne – and we're here to assure you that the process isn't as daunting as it may seem. Hear it directly from our customers on our testimonial page highlighting examples of how simple and convenient the whole process is. Let's walk through some of the most common questions we get asked, so that you can make an informed decision about how to go about replacing your windows.
How often should windows be replaced?
Glass is an incredibly sturdy material. Made from sand, soda ash and limestone, it can withstand a lot of wear and tear. In fact, the glass will generally outlast the window frames and hardware in most windows and most windows if maintained will last for well over 20 - 30 years before they need to be replaced. Of course, the most common time to replace windows is when they're not keeping the elements out of your home, have rotted frames, corroded frames and cracked or shattered Glass – but the main reason today is due to new emerging technologies that not only provide a longer lasting product with less maintenance, but provide more comfort due to better sealing and insulating technologies available.
There are a few factors that can contribute to a shorter lifespan, such as:
- Poor maintenance. If your window frames are made from timber or steel, unless they are regularly painted and maintained, they will rot, rust and deteriorate much quicker.
- Poor installation. If your windows weren’t installed properly, they may not be as secure as they should be; for instance, if the sealant isn’t applied correctly, moisture can get in and also cause the frame to rot or rust.
- Poor Quality. Windows performance has not been a priority concern in the design and performance of a home and only recently homes are now subjected to strict energy ratings which see the common use of Double glazing and thermally efficient products.
- Extreme weather conditions. Some areas are prone to hurricanes or other severe weather conditions that can cause damage to windows.
- Environmental factors. Homes located near the ocean may experience more wear and tear from the salt in the air, while homes in polluted areas may have windows that get dirty very quickly.
- Stress fractures. Also known as “crazing,” stress fractures are tiny cracks that appear in the glass. They’re usually caused by thermal stress (from sudden changes in temperature) or physical stress (from something hitting the window).
When should your windows be replaced?
Even if you're aware of the factors that can contribute to a shorter lifespan, it can be hard to tell exactly when your windows need to be replaced. Windows that are 10 years or older generally perform poorly, and whilst most older windows look fine from inside and out they could be contributing to excessive heating & cooling bills through poor performance and just general discomfort in your home.
Here are a few signs that it might be time for new windows:
- Windows are single glazed with 3mm Glass which has been the norm in Australia for some time.
- You feel a draft coming through. If you can feel cold air coming in around your windows, it means that the seal isn’t as tight as it should be.
- Your energy bills have gone up. Noticed a sudden spike in your energy bills? It’s possibly because your windows aren’t as effective at insulating your home as they used to be.You see condensation or frost on the inside of your windows. This is a sign of poor insulation and can lead to mould and mildew growth.
- Your windows are difficult to open and close. This is a fairly common issue as windows age – the frame may start to warp, making it hard to open and close them.
- Your windows are cracked or chipped. Obviously, if your windows are cracked or chipped, they need to be replaced!
If you're not sure whether your windows need to be replaced, our experts are always happy to provide you with friendly advice! Get in touch with us for the best window replacements Melbourne has to offer.
What is the window replacement process?
Interested in replacing your windows with us? Excellent choice! We offer only the highest quality window and door replacement to Melbourne residents, priding ourselves on a stress-free and seamless process from start to finish. Here's what you can expect when you choose us to replace your windows:
- We’ll come out to your home to provide a free, no-obligation quote with no hard sell. We’ll take measurements and show you a range of different options that would suit your home.
- Next, we’ll provide a detailed proposal outlining the products we recommend, the cost, with all of your selected options. Our quotes are always upfront and honest.
- Once you’re happy to proceed, we’ll book in a date for the trade site measure. Our qualified installer will perform the trade site measure, where exact sizes are determined for your new replacement windows and they will assess that there are no other potential hidden issues that may present during the installation.
- Our administration team will then schedule your new windows into production thoroughly checking and double checking all selected options and give you a rough date for your installation, keeping you well informed of the progress of your order throughout the entire process.
- When your windows are ready our administration team will firm up the installation dates and arrange for our team of professional installers to arrive on time and work quickly and efficiently to get the job done right.
- On completion of the installation the head installer will perform a quality assurance check of all installed windows and doors and provide operation and maintenance training before they leave.
Replacing your windows isn't a hassle with us; we're passionate about providing the best possible service to our customers and ensuring that they're 100% happy with the end result.
Why use uPVC for Replacement Windows in Victoria?
After 25 years of window replacement service in Melbourne, we've grown familiar with the city and its extreme weather conditions. One of the most common questions we get asked is "what type of windows are best for Melbourne's climate?".
What is the average cost to install a new window?
It is hard to provide an accurate cost on replacing your windows without physically seeing the existing windows but as a guide, your average cost for a basic 900mm wide x 1200mm high, top hung casement awning window will be in the range of $1600 to $1800 installed. Your cost will obviously change when adding optional features such as higher performing double glazed glass, reveals and flyscreens or for larger quantities of windows.
Can I replace just one window?
How much does it cost to replace all windows?
Window and Door Replacement Options
uPVC Window Replacements
With 25 years of experience, we're known for our high-quality uPVC window replacements. We offer a wide range of styles to choose from, so you can find the perfect look for your home.
There are two styles to choose from:
- Chamfered windows provide a clean-cut look for a more contemporary feel.
- Sculptured ovolo windows have a more traditional design, with curved corners that add character to your home.
Fully Chamfered and Sculptured
All of our windows come with either a chamfered or sculptured ovolo design, which gives them a clean-cut look. The chamfered windows are perfect for a more contemporary feel, while the sculptured ovolo windows have a more traditional design with curved corners that add character to your home. See the diagram below for a comparison of the two styles:
So, what are you waiting for? Contact us today to find out more about our window upgrade and replacement options. We offer a free quote, so you can see how much it will cost to upgrade your home.
Tilt & Turn
In addition to our range of replacement windows, we also offer replacement doors in a variety of styles. From front doors to back doors and everything in between, we can help you find the perfect door for your home.
You can choose between:
- French hinged double-glazed doors for an open, welcoming entrance or a spacious patio doorway.
- Sliding patio doors available in two, three, or four panels, perfect for creating a seamless transition between your indoor and outdoor living space.
- Panoramic bi-fold doors, which fold back almost flat against the wall to create an unobstructed view of your garden or patio.
- Classic and composite front doors with uPVC skin options for a more durable door that is low maintenance and weather-resistant.
- Side light screens, which are a great way to let in natural light and ventilation while still maintaining privacy.
Visit our product gallery
Nu-Eco can help you install and replace your windows and doors with high quality uPVC products. View our range of products today.